Search This Blog

Friday, April 8, 2011

Univega Safari Ten - The Review

When I found this bike, we were both looking for something.   This Univega Safari Ten was looking for salvation, appreciation, purpose, and a thorough lube job.  And I was looking for a bike, so it kind of worked out.

                              ------FLASHBACK-----

Its the height of the naughty aughties (2007 perhaps).  Becky was at school at Stony Brook.  Her bike was stolen, most likely by the Mafia as it was Long Island.  She asked the security guys about it and they said maybe she could find a new one from the campus bike dump.  On my next visit I journeyed to the dump to find a large construction site dumpster full of mutilated bicycles.  Fortunately, they were mostly just Huffys and Magnas, of which a campus genocide is of no real consequence.  However, as my hope of finding something worthwhile was wavering, my gaze stretched over to an area of high grass.  There, in the thicket, appeared a 80s lugged frame.  Figurative rays of sunshine burst through the clouds.  I walked toward it slowly, fearing it may catch my scent and flee.  However, as I neared it was apparent this majestic beast was gravely injured.  Fork askew, cassette ripped asunder from freewheel, rust penetrating the bottom bracket.  Once, a proud lion, now stricken down, the all-engrossing grass beginning to consume it.  But like Aslan in the The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, I knew it could rise again.  I carried the limp beast to my 1993 Geo Storm and took it home for its resurrection.



                                --------FLASH FORWARD------

So as you may have gathered, this is an Univega Safari Ten.  All research indicates its an early 80s frame.  The "Ten" signified ten-speed (2x5).  It was in pretty rough shape, and all the components were crappy, rusty, and heavy (the inverse of "strong, light and cheap - pick two"..."crappy, rusty, and heavy - pick three").   As I promptly removed the original components and trashed them, I don't know the original spec.  The frame is pretty heavy, even for steel, and didn't include any stickers indicating what type of steel its made of.  The internet suggests plain gauge cromo with hi-ten stays and fork.  I licked them and couldn't tell the difference though. I ultimately set it up as a single speed with parts I had laying around.  Old Normandy rear hub.  700c wheels replaced the 27 inchers.  No bar tape...I like my handlebars like I like my oysters...raw. 



"But how's the ride?" you ask.  "Nothing short of mediocre," I respond.  In safari terms, more lion than cheetah.  And more like a cape buffalo than lion.  Its extra girth meant that getting up to speed was slow, but once there it rolled great.  The steel frame dampened vibrations so the ride was smooth.  It excelled at rolling downhill on semi-smooth pavement.  However, I feared going too fast because the steering was off.  I pride my ability to ride no handed (or with "no handlebars" like that one song by the Flobots), yet this bike resisted.  Perhaps it was the bent fork.  Perhaps it was the Safari's inner cape buffalo refusing to be tamed...shrugging off the burden of humanity for the call of the wild.  No...it was definitely the bent fork.



Conclusion
    The Univega Safari Ten.  A fine bike as long as you don't like sprinting or going uphill.  Smooth ride.  Buy if:  You have an extra $40 or time to go to the campus bike dump at Stony Brook.  Don't buy if:  You have like $75...you can get something butted.  

1 comment:

  1. I got mine at a penny sale in Van Buren Mane last year.It is in good shape

    ReplyDelete